5

Interview

Posted by Claudia Moser on 9:51 AM in , , ,


My all time favourite author is Agatha Christie, her books keep me fascinated after so many years, I always turn to her when I need to escape and immerge myself in a wonderful, exciting world.

While doing some reading on the world wide web, I found an interview taken in Slovenia in 1967 from which I would like to share some lines with you.

Would you mind telling us how the ideas are born and how do they develop into novel?
"So, how the ideas come?"
she slowly repeated the question, sitting in the chair and her fingers of right hand, as if they are searching something on the chair, wrinkle cover and move away a cup of tea.
(I could actually picture this)

"They come suddenly, I even don't know how. Whenever: when I am listening to opera, walking on the street hey come from everywhere! Also, when a smart idea falls into your head, which you like, you have to build a believable story from it. Suddenly faces grow as well, one by one. And then comes this unpleasant day, when you have to sit down and everything what had beautifully grown put on paper. Yes, the first part is much more fun!"
(so true, indeed writing is like this, I am sure we can all relate to this!)

Some writers of detective stories buy ideas. What about you? 
"No. I like ideas which fall into my head, that's more fun!"
"You can't imagine adds her husband how many letters we get: Here, an excellent idea for a novel! We answer: Then write it yourself!." 
(well, I guess they were right!)

For more please read here.

From her characters, I am mostly draw towards Poirot, he has so many traits which are so well create, his obsession for neatness, his 'grey cells', his speech.

And then, I stumbled upon this interview, where David Suchet (the best ever Poirot!) gave his view on his role:

In terms of approaching the character of Hercule Poirot, was it a conscious decision to soften the character's manner and develop him as a more well-rounded individual, as opposed to the more rigid character Christie wrote?
Please forgive me, but I think the premise is mistaken. When I was asked to play Poirot, the Agatha Christie estate made the point that she wrote a character who was far more full-dimensional than we had seen up to that time on the screen, where he had been turned into a kind of buffoon. Agatha Christie's fans would never have been gripped by someone like that. From my own reading of nearly every single word that she wrote about Poirot, I would agree. In some books, some short stories, yes, he's less developed than in others. But in books like Murder on the Orient Express, there are sections that point to a very perturbed inner life. This side of him was totally ignored in the 1974 Sidney Lumet film of Murder on the Orient Express. People who see Poirot as just one- or two-dimensional are those who are basing their opinions on the movies rather than the books.

What characteristics of Poirot have kept the public so captivated by him over the years?
It's different for so many people. But there's one thing that comes up again and again in my fan mail, and that is his kindness. People warm to his kindness, his gentility, his courtesy, and his manners.  

What is your favorite Poirot quirk?
His attention to detail is just wonderful. In Christie's books, he is always talking about the details, the details, the details. That is very ME as an actor and as a person; I'm an appreciator of detail. So I guess I have revealed one trait we have in common!

Conversely, which of his traits do you find most peeving?
He can be a bit of a pain in the backside, because of his overly tidiness. His dedicated bachelorhood is also something that I have to work hard at. Although I am tidy and I like to maintain a certain order in my life, it's nothing like his; his is almost clinical.

And now you know how much this subject is of interest for me! And guess what? Tonight I will re-read some chapters from Murder on the Orient Express, this will be fun!

(this was the best movie made after Agatha Christie's book, even if not with my favourite Poirot cast)

Happy Thursday!

|

5 Comments


I find that many characters portrayed in movies are not as well rounded in the movies as the author portrays him in the book. I love Suchet's answer to that question. Great post on Interviews! Thanks for hopping along :D


Claudia,
Thanks for this enlightening post on Agatha Christie. I love her work too. Also thanks for being a follower on my blog.


I've read all of Agatha Christie's books. I just love her stories and her style of writing. This was such an interesting post and I liked hearing the opinions of David Suchet. Terrific.


That was my favorite movie of Agatha's. I too am a huge fan. You weren't happy with Albert Finney's performance? I loved him. He had no clue either about what he had to do. He just got into character and that was that. Either way, they both were excellent Poirot's in my opinion. Great post and great interviews!


@Jenn - so true, but Poirot and Miss Marple had several actors who tried their best, but for me the ultimate Poirot is David Suchet!
@Linda - she was an amazing writer, wish I'd known her. And I have been your follower for quite a while, not always commenting though!
@Belle - thank you, his interview is very good indeed!
@Barb - the whole cast except Poirot was brilliant, sadly Finney was very ridiculous in my eyes, sorry!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them all!

Motto

"A story is not like a road to follow … it's more like a house. You go inside and stay there for a while, wandering back and forth and settling where you like and discovering how the room and corridors relate to each other, how the world outside is altered by being viewed from these windows. And you, the visitor, the reader, are altered as well by being in this enclosed space, whether it is ample and easy or full of crooked turns, or sparsely or opulently furnished. You can go back again and again, and the house, the story, always contains more than you saw the last time. It also has a sturdy sense of itself of being built out of its own necessity, not just to shelter or beguile you."
by Alice Munro

Copyright © 2009 The story All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.