6

Monday's special

Posted by Claudia Moser on 7:05 AM in ,
Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
Plato

If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people.
Confucius

The opportunity for doing mischief is found a hundred times a day, and of doing good once in a year.
Voltaire

We are born at a given moment, in a given place and, like vintage years of wine, we have the qualities of the year and of the season of which we are born. Astrology does not lay claim to anything more.
Carl Jung

Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week.
George Bernard Shaw

I'd marry again if I found a man who had fifteen million dollars, would sign over half to me, and guarantee that he'd be dead within a year.
Bette Davis

Words do not change their meanings so drastically in the course of centuries as, in our minds, names do in the course of a year or two.
Marcel Proust

Why do you hasten to remove anything which hurts your eye, while if something affects your soul you postpone the cure until next year?
Horace

|

6 Comments


Thank you for the thoughtful quotes.

I hope Peter gets home safely, and your work trip flies by :-)


Hi Claudia. You know how much I love quotes, and you've picked some good ones there for us to start the week with. There's that Ralph Waldo Emerson again. I think I would have liked to meet him, because he came up with some wonderful quotes. Love the one by Bette Davis (Hee Hee) and the one about having the quality of the season of the year that we were born, by Carl Jung is certainly interesting.


@Sarah - so do I, I am flying with half a heart so to speak!
@Diane - yes, I believe I would have liked to meet him as well.


Love it! Glad to hear that you're also an Emerson fan - I took a class on him once and keep going back for a draught of his wisdom.


The Beth Davis one made me laugh!!!

Thanks for brightening a horrible Monday!


x


@Laura - I start to get a big fan of his writings!
@Fiona - sorry to hear that you are having a horrible Monday, tomorrow will be better for sure!
@Karen - did she? Tough woman but very gifted!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate them all!

Motto

"A story is not like a road to follow … it's more like a house. You go inside and stay there for a while, wandering back and forth and settling where you like and discovering how the room and corridors relate to each other, how the world outside is altered by being viewed from these windows. And you, the visitor, the reader, are altered as well by being in this enclosed space, whether it is ample and easy or full of crooked turns, or sparsely or opulently furnished. You can go back again and again, and the house, the story, always contains more than you saw the last time. It also has a sturdy sense of itself of being built out of its own necessity, not just to shelter or beguile you."
by Alice Munro

Copyright © 2009 The story All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.